For our service learning project our students will be writing a letter asking the city counsel for permission to help paint over negative graffiti and create a positive art piece for the community. This is a direct service because the students will be writing the letters themselves, painting over the negative graffiti, and expressing themselves in a positive manner that will also bring positivity to the community.
1. Investigation: Writing the letters to the city counsel to find out where the need is.
2. Preparation/Planning: Getting paint, collectively planning what image(s) they will be replacing the graffiti with.
3. Action: On a chosen weekend have students go and paint over the negative graffiti one day and the remainder of the weekend will be spent creating their art.
4. Reflection: Students will be writing a reflection after their painting weekend on "how does this promote positive expression"
5. Demonstration: Have the school newspaper (and if possible the local newspaper) come out and do a story on the art piece. There can be a ribbon cutting ceremony once the art is done.
6. Evaluation: See rubrics.